Q: Why did you decide to undertake the ACICIS program?
I wanted to be immersed in a completely new environment that is culturally very different to Australia. I also wanted to observe the differences in food safety and security between the two countries to become more open-minded. Picking up a new language is also a plus 🙂 (even if it’s just beginners level).
Q: What classes are you currently enrolled in?
- Sensory evaluation of foods – learning about sensory practices, how to analyse data and sensory biases.
- Characteristics of food materials – the properties of different foods (e.g milk/dairy, meats, etc)
- Halal assurance systems – how Islam is incorporated into food production, consumption and certification.
- Food safety and sanitation – different types of contamination at different stages of supply chain.
- Food packaging and storage technology – different packaging materials and their advantages and disadvantages.
Q:How has your study in Indonesia influenced your understanding of Agriculture or Food Security in the region?
Although my classes are primarily focused on food science, I have been able to observe some agricultural and production practices thanks to my internship. Just by living and eating in Bogor, I can notice the differences in food security between Australia and Indonesia and this has really opened my eyes and encouraged me to try and learn more.
Q: What do you like to do in your spare time in Bogor?
Between classes I like to hang out with friends on campus. On weekends I also like to travel around and outside of Bogor to explore new foods and make new friends. Sometimes I also like to play with the stray kitten that wanders around our Kosan :).
Q: Are you undertaking an internship while in Indonesia?
Yes, at AgriSocio, a social enterprise dedicated to rural development, where I partake in on-farm activities (e.g. growing and production house) as well as help at the office (developing their B2B model).
Q: What is your favourite food?
Q: What is your favourite place to eat?
Sapta canteen (inside the Faculty of Food Science)
Q: What is your favourite Indonesian word/phrase:
Q: What places in Indonesia have you visited during your semester so far?
Jakarta, Puncak, Bandung and Pari Pulau.