Security Update: COVID-19 Pandemic: Cancellation of in-country delivery of all ACICIS programs scheduled for first half of 2022: 19 October 2021
ACICIS has received numerous queries regarding the implications of the Commonwealth Government’s recent announcements that travel restrictions currently in place for Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents will likely ease from November 2021.
While the Commonwealth’s recent announcements have undoubtedly been positive signs for the eventual resumption of ACICIS’ normal activities, there remain many significant uncertainties which currently make it impracticable to set a timeline for a return to in-country delivery of ACICIS programs.
At present, these uncertainties include:
- Restrictions on travel imposed by Australian state and territory governments
- Indonesian Government travel restrictions and visa requirements
- Restrictions on student travel imposed by Australian universities
- The overall level of Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade travel advice for Indonesia (currently Level 4: Do Not Travel)
- The prevailing health and safety situation in Indonesia
The presence of these uncertainties mean that ACICIS will unlikely have sufficient lead time to offer any form of in-country study programs during the upcoming Australian Summer (January – February 2022) or Semester 1 (February – June 2022) study periods. For this reason, and to give certainty to all our stakeholders (including prospective students and member universities), the ACICIS National Reference Group has recently resolved to cancel the in-country delivery of all ACICIS programs scheduled to take place between January and June 2022.
ACICIS will continue to deliver its advertised suite of award-winning short format virtual programs between November 2021 and February 2022. Subject to sufficient student demand, we will continue to offer these virtual experiences until in-person student mobility between Australia and Indonesia is once again practicable:
- Agriculture Professional Practicum
- Business Professional Practicum
- Creative Arts and Design Professional Practicum
- Development Studies Professional Practicum
- Journalism Professional Practicum
- Law Professional Practicum
- Sustainable Tourism Professional Practicum
- Indonesian Language Short Course
- Public Health Study Tour
At this stage, ACICIS is unable to advise whether a return to in-country study will be possible in advance of the Australian Winter (June – July 2022), Semester 2 (July – December 2022), Summer 2022/23 (November – February) or any other future study period. As we have done since the cancellation of our in-country programs in March 2020, ACICIS will continue to monitor the situation in both Australia and Indonesia prior to making any decisions regarding the resumption of our in-country study programs.
Updates will continue to be posted on this webpage and provided to member universities as the situation develops. Please do not hesitate to contact the ACICIS Secretariat on 08 6488 6675 or email firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any queries.
ACICIS Consortium Director