Please review ACICIS’ latest COVID-19 update here. While ACICIS aims to keep the information on our website as accurate and up-to-date as possible, any advice is provided as a guide only and should not be relied upon when formulating travel and study plans. Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, rules and regulations pertaining to study in Indonesia (e.g. visa and entry requirements) have changed significantly and regularly at short notice.
ACICIS anticipates that relevant rules and regulations will continue to change at multiple junctures prior to the commencement of coming program intakes. Participants should not make any travel arrangements prior to receiving further advice in their formal Acceptance Letter from ACICIS..
In order for a foreigner to study in Indonesia for more than 60 days, a Temporary Residence Permit (e-ITAS) is required. As such, students participating in ACICIS’ semester programs must enter Indonesia on a Temporary Stay Visa or VITAS, which is subsequently converted into an e-ITAS after arrival in their city of study. ACICIS’ in-country staff will assist with this conversion process.
- Is issued electronically, and sent to participants via email once issued. Participants are not required to visit an Indonesian Embassy or Consulate or send their passports anywhere prior to departure.
- Costs USD$150 + IDR 200,000 subject to change.
- Can take four-to-five months to issue.
- Must be issued while you are outside Indonesia (no travel to Indonesia during the three months prior to your semester). Please contact ACICIS if you have any plans to visit Indonesia before your semester’s commencement.
- Requires a minimum of 12-18 months validity on your passport on the date of entry into Indonesia. Dependent on whether you intend on studying in Indonesia for one or two semesters.
- Must be converted into an e-ITAS shortly after entry into Indonesia. Participants cannot arrive in Indonesia until immediately before orientation commencement.
- Is a sponsored visa that is valid so long as you are enrolled with your sponsoring institution (your Indonesian university, not ACICIS).
- Is a study visa. You may not work.
- For students staying for an entire semester or longer, includes a Multiple Exit-Reentry Permit for the first six months. This allows you to enter and exit the country.
- Is not convertible to another visa type.
- Requires cancellation via the issuance of an exit permit prior to permanent departure. E-ITAS holders must make arrangements for their permanent departure from the city where they are registered immediately prior to leaving Indonesia. That is, students in Bandung, for example, will be required to apply for an Exit Permit Only in Bandung immediately prior to going home. You cannot finish the semester, travel to the other end of the archipelago and then exit from a place of your convenience.
VITAS Applicants Must:
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of visa application.
- Hold medical insurance with coverage for at least USD$25,000 of COVID-19 treatment while in Indonesia at the time of visa application and entry into Indonesia.
- Have access to savings of at least USD$2,000 or foreign currency equivalent.
- Have no criminal record.
In order to obtain a VITAS, it is important that students supply EVERY item required on the application checklist. Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will result in visa authorisations being issued late. ACICIS takes no responsibility for losses (either financial or academic) that result from the submission of incomplete visa application forms. All costs associated with additional visa processing due to late/incomplete applications (e.g. rescheduled flights or the issuance of a temporary Visitor Visa and additional flights in and out of the country) will be borne by the applicant.
Accompanying family members
ACICIS is able to assist in obtaining VITAS visas for family members who intend to accompany applicants to Indonesia. Applications can be requested by contacting the ACICIS Secretariat.
Entry Requirements (Checked Upon Boarding Flight/Entering Indonesia/Proceeding to your ACICIS Program Location)
In addition to holding a valid VITAS visa, participants:
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (minimum two doses and a booster = minimum three doses).
- Must complete an online customs declaration.
- Must download the Indonesian Government’s PeduliLindungi app, and verify their vaccinations with the Indonesian Ministry of Health.
Advice is Subject to Change
The above advice is subject to change between now and the start of participants’ chosen ACICIS semester. Please do not make travel arrangements prior to receiving your formal Acceptance Letter from ACICIS. More detailed advice, including a VITAS application package will be provided with Acceptance Letters.