In order for a foreigner to study in Indonesia for any length of time, a Temporary Residence Permit (E-ITAS) is required. As such, students participating in ACICIS’ programs must enter Indonesia on a Temporary Stay Visa or VITAS, which is subsequently converted into an E-ITAS after arrival in their city of study. ACICIS’ in-country staff will assist with this conversion process.
- Is (at present) issued electronically subject to change.
- Costs approximately $250 (for stduents staying less than 30 days)/AUD$400 (for studeents staying more than 30 days) once all processing charges are taken into account subject to change.
- Takes approximately 2-3 months to issue
- Must be issued while you are outside Indonesia (no travel to Indonesia during the three months prior to your program). Please contact ACICIS if you have any plans to visit Indonesia before your semester’s commencement.
- Requires a minimum of 12-18 months validity (program dependent) on your passport on the date of entry into Indonesia
- Must be converted into an E-ITAS shortly after entry into Indonesia. Participants cannot arrive in Indonesia until immediately before orientation commencement.
- Is a sponsored visa that is valid so long as you are enrolled with your sponsoring institution (your Indonesian university, not ACICIS).
- Is a study visa. You may not work.
- Is non-convertible to another visa type.
VITAS Applicants Must:
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (received two doses and a booster – if eligible – of vaccines recognised by the Indonesian government) at the time of visa application.
- Hold medical insurance with coverage for at least USD$25,000 of COVID-19 treatment while in Indonesia.
- Have access to savings of at least USD$2,000 or foreign currency equivalent.
- Have no criminal record.
In order to obtain a VITAS, it is important that students supply EVERY item required on the application checklist. Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will result in visa authorisations being issued late. ACICIS takes no responsibility for losses (either financial or academic) that result from the submission of incomplete visa application forms. All costs associated with additional visa processing due to late/incomplete applications (such as the issuance of temporary social-cultural visa, extension and conversion costs, or flights in and out of the country) will be borne by the applicant.
Entry Requirements (Checked Upon Boarding Flight/Entering Indonesia)
In addition to holding a valid VITAS visa, participants:
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including any additional booster doses they have become eligible for) at least 14 days prior to departure.
Advice is Subject to Change
The above advice is very subject to change between now and the start of participants’ chosen ACICIS semester. Visa, travel and quarantine arrangements could tighten or loosen. Any ACICIS applicant will therefore need to be flexible in their plans, and have contingencies in place in terms of their study plans, travel plans and budget. ACICIS will make sure that applicants are aware of the range of possibilities, including the costs for quarantine and additional government-mandated isolation prior to committing to the program by way of paying their administration fee.