*Advanced Indonesian language skills are required for this placement.
PT 8Villages Indonesia was established in 2013, that aims to make changes related to the flow of information from the public and private sectors to the rural communities.
8Villages is an organisation based in Indonesia that engaged in the field of Information Technology services such as website development, software, along with integrated supporting applications. 8Villages has made a large number of applications by utilising mobile phone technology for businesses that allow direct communication between users and the targeted communities on a certain scale, and obtain the relevant knowledge, as well as increasing the community involvement.
The main purpose of creating applications is to provide information for communities who live in rural areas in particular, and this initiative actually receives a lot of responses from various stakeholders.
8Villages attempts to optimise and simplify sending messages through mobile phones globally. 8Villages also formed a partnership with mobile phone service providers in each country to identify mobile phone users who are members of the agricultural community. Furthermore, 8Villages will send specific and appropriate information for them.
8Villages were keen to understand the way in which information technology can help farmers to adopt to sustainable agricultural systems, familiarise farmers with the latest agricultural related technology, and to increase the farmers’ income. About 1.7 billion people in the world are farmers and most of them have been using the phone as a communication tool.
Interns are required to have the following abilities:
- Agricultural background (Agronomy and Plant Protection).
- Quick Learner.
- Able to deliver ideas related to conditions that have been observed in the field.
- Able to analyse interactions that occur in applications.
- Able to classify and analyse questions & trending topics in the application. The results are then transformed into articles / information desired by the users.
- Able to collect articles in Kompas Newspaper related to Food Security Issues.
Interns will also need to bring their own laptop and android phone.
- Interns with mentor will have a field visit (Bogor and Karawang regencies) to meet Farmer Sub Groups, Farmer Groups, Extension Officers and Local Experts on the first and fourth weeks.
- Interns will work in the office on the second and third weeks to map 8villages’ application structure in order to support innovation related to application and information that will be presented to users in 8villages application.
Monday to Friday – from 9.00 AM to 5.00 PM
Jl. KH. Noer Ali No.6D,
Kampung Dua, Jakasampurna,
Bekasi Barat 17145,
Jawa Barat – Indonesia