Indonesia from the ground up! will include:
Jakarta (3 nights)
- An orientation program including a briefing on health and security, an Indonesian language basic survival skills tutorial, and a reception organised by the Australian embassy (subject to confirmation).
Briefings on current Indonesian politics and the vibrant post-Suharto media scene in Jakarta, including a tour of an Indonesian newspaper.
- A tour of the Sunda Kelapa harbour area.
- A visit to a community school in one of Jakarta’s slum areas that power the informal economy of Southeast Asia’s largest city.
Bandung (2 nights)
- A tour of an active volcano near Bandung.
- An introduction to the Indonesian view of international relations at Parahyangan University, including group discussions with Indonesian students.
- An angklung performance and workshop.
Yogyakarta (4 nights)
- Visits to World Heritage-listed temples such as Borobudur and Prambanan, and a tour of Kota Gede.
- An overnight stay in a village and a tour of one of the lava fields.
- An evening performance of the epic Hindu Ramayana Ballet at Prambanan temple or perforemance area.
- A visit to an Islamic boarding school (pesantren).
- Practical workshops on batik making and silver making.
Bali (3 nights)
- Tours highlighting Balinese architecture and culture.
- A visit to a turtle breeding program.
- A visit to a school participating in the Australia-Indonesia BRIDGE program.
|Jakarta||1||Fly to Jakarta|
|2||Orientation Briefing from ACICIS||ACICIS||Security and Health|
|Everyday Indonesian||Atma Jaya University||Language Basics|
|3||Indonesian Trading||Sunda Kelapa Port||Indonesian History|
|Indonesian Media||Jakarta Post||Media|
|School Visit||Kartini Emergency School||Urban Poverty|
|Welcome Ceremony||Australian Embassy||Introduction to Indonesia|
|Bandung||4||Bus to Bandung|
|Volcano Tour||Vulcanology Centre||Geology, Earth Science|
|5||Discussion Forum||Parahyangan University||International Relations|
|Angklung workshop||Angklung Mang Udjo||Music|
|Yogyakarta||6||Train to Yogyakarta|
|7||Batik workshop||Giriloyo Women’s Batik Cooperative||Traditional Craft & Arts|
|Tour of Kota Gede||Culture and Arts|
|Silver workshop||Traditional Craft & Arts|
|Ramayana Ballet||Prambanan Temple||Traditional Dance|
|8||Tour of Prambanan and Plaosan temples||Prambanan Temple||History & Culture|
|Islamic boarding school||Krapyak pesantren||Education|
|9||Sunrise Tour of Borobodur Temple||Borobodur Temple||History & Culture|
|9||Village Living Seminar||Village Stay||Culture|
|Bali||10||Fly to Bali|
|11||School Visit||Australia-Indonesia BRIDGE School||Education partnerships|
|Architecture & Culture Tour||Culture|
|12||Turtle Conservation||Serangan Island turtle tour||Nature & Conservation|
|13||Fly to Australia|
Please note: This itinerary may be subject to change.